Many individuals in recovery have never left their families for an extended period. For some, it might be the first time they’ve ever attended therapy. Leaving loved ones behind for weeks or months and going to a strange place can feel overwhelming. In addition, stress and emotional distress increase the risk of relapse and can worsen symptoms of substance use disorder (SUD). Decrease stress and anxiety by learning more about what to expect from treatment. Rehabilitation programs can be a truly life-changing experience and provide you with essential tools for long-term sobriety.
Treatment for SUD can vary depending on multiple factors. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), “The type, length, and intensity of treatment are determined by the severity of the SUD, types of substances used, support systems available, prior life experiences, and behavioral, physical, gender, cultural, cognitive, and social factors.” Newport Beach Recovery Center treats substance misuse and co-occurring mental health disorders using personalized, evidence-based methods.
How to Prepare for Treatment
Being fully prepared to attend a treatment program is one way to reduce stress and anxiety. Our facility offers a full continuum of care for individuals with SUD. However, getting ready for weeks or months of treatment requires you to do the following:
- Check your insurance plan to make sure it covers all rehabilitation services.
- Gather all relevant medical data, including contact information for your doctor or therapist, a list of current medications, and details on your family medical history.
- Inform your workplace that you must take a leave of absence and ensure all work tasks are reassigned.
- Arrange for someone to look after your home and pets if you live alone.
- Help your family prepare for your absence and make sure they have access to support resources.
- Pack enough personal items to last through the treatment program, including weather-appropriate clothing.
- Inform friends and family that you will be away for an extended period.
- Prepay monthly bills and rent.
Contact our office today if you have questions about what you should bring and what to avoid packing when participating in one of our programs.
What Day-to-Day Treatment Looks Like at Newport Beach Recovery Center
We are a smaller facility that provides clients with personalized care that ensures you receive all the support you need to achieve and maintain positive mental health. Day-to-day treatment will depend on the severity of symptoms and can include:
- Individual psychotherapy
- Group therapy
- Peer support groups
- Medication and symptom management
- Alternative holistic therapies
- Development of essential skills
- Relapse prevention
Newport Beach Recovery Center offers an individualized rehabilitation experience that can help you heal from the damaging effects of substance misuse. We believe everyone should access high-quality services and a supportive community during and after treatment. You will join in group discussions, activities, and community events.
The Benefits of Joining a Supportive Community
People new to treatment might be surprised by the many mental and physical benefits of joining a supportive community. Actively engaging in recovery alongside peers can provide you with the following:
- Nonjudgmental understanding and support
- A safe space to express yourself and explore self-growth
- An opportunity to practice social and communication skills
- Additional accountability and motivation for maintaining sobriety
- Access to new ideas and fresh perspectives
- A chance to help and encourage others
Facilities like Newport Beach Recovery Center prioritize creating a welcoming and inclusive community where everyone feels supported and respected.
Family Involvement in the Treatment Process
Individuals who are new to treatment may have never spent significant time away from their families. Unfortunately, most people leave behind loved ones when they attend rehabilitation. Family involvement is integral to continuing recovery at Newport Beach Recovery Center. According to Substance Abuse, “research has shown family support to be related to positive treatment outcomes, and that such support can influence recovery through motivation to change.”
Parents in recovery might have a more difficult time adjusting due to the following:
- Regret, fear, or anger about having to leave their children for weeks or months
- Shame for not being able to care for their child during the treatment period
- Concern about their child’s welfare and emotional well-being
Families may also have attachment issues, codependency, or enabling behaviors that make it essential to avoid involving them in treatment during the early stages of recovery. However, after you achieve a certain degree of emotional stability, your family can become a more significant part of your recovery by providing support or attending therapy to address any maladaptive family dynamics that might increase the risk of relapse.
What to Expect From Aftercare
The Newport Beach Recovery Center care team will collaborate with you to create a comprehensive aftercare plan that might include family therapy, referrals to local family resources, a safety plan, and relapse prevention strategies. After completing the program, you will transition from treatment at the facility to local recovery services. The care team will ensure you have all the tools you need to overcome any challenges you might face during continuing care and long-term recovery.
The process might initially feel overwhelming or confusing if you are new to treatment. The care team at Newport Beach Recovery Center has created a family-like environment where peers can engage in positive interactions while undergoing treatment for substance use disorder. We believe that connections and healthy relationships improve the effectiveness of therapy. Your safety and well-being are our top priorities, and we use evidence-based methods to help you learn essential skills that lower your risk of relapse and improve mental health. We understand that being away from your family and allowing yourself to be vulnerable around strangers can be challenging. This is why we have created a place where you can become part of a supportive community of peers with similar life experiences. To learn more about Newport Beach Recovery Center and the programs we have to offer, call us today at (888) 850-0363.